Sunday, May 24, 2009

Freezing Broccoli

Many vegetables, in my opinion, are much better frozen, instead of canned.

Broccoli is one of my favorite veggies! I grow many plants every year so that I may harvest my crop, freeze it and enjoy it all year long. Another great benefit of freezing my collected produce is that I am feeding my family organic vegetables, not to mention the money I'm saving!!!!

In order to make sure that the broccoli is froozen properly I purchased a vacuum sealer from www.naturesway2grow.com. They also sell the freezer bags & many different kitchen aids that make the task of freezing broccoli a sinch. For those of you who have never frozen vegetables before, www.naturesway2grow.com also has some great books on the subject!

The basic steps to freezing vegetables:

1. Preparation of the vegetables for the freezing process.
2. Blanching the vegetables. The many advantages of blanching, prior to freezing, is to slows the enzymes that cause the loss of flavor, color and prepares the vegetables for freezing. Blanching vegetables also ensures that any harmful bacteria have been eliminated prior to freezing.
3. Packaging the vegetables, either in freezer bags or vacuum seal bags.
4. Freezing the vegetables.

Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment